Take on the Great Strides Ultra Marathon route this year and see the Surrey Hills - Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty!
All Great Strides events
The Great Strides Ultra is a circular trail run starting between Guildford and Farnham and passing through the Surrey Hills, a designated Area of Outstanding Beauty. It uses the well-established route for the “Great Strides” challenge event (a team sponsored walk).
Event location and times
Location: Surrey Hills
Start line: The start is on the Hampton Estate, close to the village of Seale (between Guildford and Farnham)
Start time: 10.30am (registration 9.00 to 9.45am)
Entry fee: £60
Entry limit: 65 people
Minimum age: 20
The route begins, and ends, on the Hampton Estate, just outside Seale, and travels along the North Downs Way as far as Moor Park (close to the edge of Farnham). The route then heads south to Tilford and crosses Hankley Common before a long climb up to the Devil’s Punchbowl on the edge of Hindhead. Having skirted the edge of the Punchbowl, the route drops under the A3 before climbing to Bowlhead Green; from there the route passes through Hambledon and the edge of Hascombe before crossing the Wintershall Estate and turning north along the Downs Link to Bramley. Having passed around the north of Chinthurst Hill, the route climbs up to Blackheath before dropping down to the Tilling Bourne next to the old gunpowder mills for the steepest climb of the route from Chilworth Manor to the top of St Martha’s Hill (maximum gradient 31.1%!). From St Martha’s the route leads back along the North Downs Way, passing through the edge of Guildford and crossing the Loseley Estate before reaching Puttenham. The finish is reached after a short climb to the top of Puttenham Common.
- Approximately 65km/roughly 40 miles
- Total climb is approximately 3800 feet
- We recommend you aim to finish within 10 hours
- There will be portaloos at some checkpoints, and public toilets at others
- This is a self-navigated route (*.gpx and *.kml files available)
- There are mainly marked footpaths (expect loose stone, sand, rock, mud and potential boggier sections depending on the weather); some short road stretches.
- All runners will be required to certify their fitness to participate in the event, both at the time of entry and at registration on the day. Race paramedics will be available throughout the event. Further details will be given in the information pack which all entrants will receive.
- Trickier sections of the course will be marked with red and white tape. Road stretches and crossings will not be marshalled (although caution walker/runner signs will be deployed to alert drivers); it will be the responsibility of the runner to self-navigate and negotiate such crossings/stretches successfully.
- Seven intermediate feeding stations at approximately 5-6 mile intervals
- Minimum requirements for kit will be detailed in the information pack which all entrants will receive.
- Hot and cold food/drink will be available at the start/finish line
“as we emerged from the woods the organisers erupted in applause, making the whole thing even more overwhelming… I had a day I'll never forget and enjoyed every high and low throughout.”
In 2017, well-known ultra runner Kirk Hardwick took on the inaugural Great Strides Ultra and became the event’s first winner! Read more about his journey through the Surrey Hills Outstanding Area of Natural Beauty.
- Exclusive GS Ultra Medal!
- Exclusive GS Ultra technical top to wear while taking part in the event
- Trophies for 1st and 2nd place male, female, veteran male, and veteran female
Whilst there is no specific sponsorship target for the Great Strides Ultra, we do ask runners to raise as much as possible for the Cystic Fibrosis Trust
How to sign up
Follow the button below to fill in your application form!
Sign up now!
Running with Team CF will help us to make a daily difference to the lives of thousands of people living with cystic fibrosis in the UK, thank you.