The Great Strides Ultra Marathon is back for it's second year!
The Great Strides 65 Ultra is a circular trail run starting between Guildford and Farnham and passing through the Surrey Hills, a designated Area of Outstanding Beauty. It uses the well-established route for the “Great Strides 65” challenge event (a team sponsored walk).
Event location and times
Location: Surrey Hills
Start line: The start line is on the, kindly donated, Hampton Estate Farm in Seale, Farnham
Start time: 10.30am
Entry fee: £60
Entry limit: 65 people
Minimum age: 20
Sponsorship target: This event is being organised by, and at the expense of, the Cystic Fibrosis Trust to raise awareness of cystic fibrosis and badly needed funds to help in the battle against the UK’s most common inherited fatal disease. We therefore ask runners to raise as much as they possible can exclusively for the Trust.
How to sign up
Entries for this years event are closed - good luck to all those taking part!
Please check back regularly for updates on the 2019 event.
The race begins, and ends, on the Hampton Estate, just outside Seale, and travels along the North Downs Way as far as Moor Park (close to the edge of Farnham). The route then heads south to Tilford and crosses Hankley Common before a long climb up to the Devil’s Punchbowl on the edge of Hindhead. Having skirted the edge of the Punchbowl, the route drops under the A3 before climbing to Bowlhead Green; from there the route passes through Hambledon and the edge of Hascombe before crossing the Wintershall Estate and turning north along the Downs Link to Bramley. Having passed around the north of Chinthurst Hill, the route climbs up to Blackheath before dropping down to the Tilling Bourne next to the old gunpowder mills before the steepest climb of the route from Chilworth Manor to the top of St Martha’s Hill. From St Martha’s the route leads back along the North Downs Way, passing through the edge of Guildford and crossing the Loseley Estate before reaching Puttenham. The finish is reached after a final climb to the top of Puttenham Common.
- 65km/roughly 40 miles
- Total climb for the route is 3038 feet
- We recommend you aim to finish within 10 hours
- There will be portaloos at some checkpoints, and public toilets at others
- This is a self-navigated route, map reading skills are essential!
- There are mainly marked footpaths (expect loose stone, sand, rock, mud and potential boggier sections depending on the weather); some short road stretches.
- All runners will be required to certify their fitness to participate in the event, both at the time of entry and at registration on the day. Race paramedics will be available throughout the event. Further details will be given in the information pack which all entrants will receive.
- Trickier sections of the course will be marked with red and white tape. Road stretches and crossings will not be marshalled (although caution walker/runner signs will be deployed to alert drivers); it will be the responsibility of the runner to self-navigate and negotiate such crossings/stretches successfully.
Start line provisions
- Hot and cold food/drink will be available at the start/finish line
- Drops bags & pacing are not allowed.
- Minimum requirements for kit will be detailed in the information pack which all entrants will receive. This is a self navigated run - you are held responsible if you do not have all the kit you require.
- Exclusive GS65 Ultra Medal
- Exclusive GS65 Ultra technical top to wear while taking part in the event
- Trophies for 1st and 2nd place male, female, veteran male, and veteran female
Running with Team CF will help us to make a daily difference to the lives of thousands of people living with cystic fibrosis in the UK, thank you.