Take on the Great Strides™ 65 Ultra Marathon route this year and see the Surrey Hills - Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty!
- Date: 8 June 2019
- Times: 10.30am (registration 9.00 to 9.45am)
- Location: Surrey Hills - Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
- Start Line: The start is on the Hampton Estate, close to the village of Seale (between Guildford and Farnham)
- Cost of entry: £60
- Minimum age: 20 years old
- Spaces are limited to 65 participants for this event
- Sponsorship: Whilst there is no specific sponsorship target for the Great Strides 65 Ultra, we do ask runners to raise as much as possible for the Cystic Fibrosis Trust
The route begins, and ends, on the Hampton Estate, just outside Seale, and travels along the North Downs Way as far as Moor Park (close to the edge of Farnham). The route then heads south to Tilford and crosses Hankley Common before a long climb up to the Devil’s Punchbowl on the edge of Hindhead. Having skirted the edge of the Punchbowl, the route drops under the A3 before climbing to Bowlhead Green; from there the route passes through Hambledon and the edge of Hascombe before crossing the Wintershall Estate and turning north along the Downs Link to Bramley. Having passed around the north of Chinthurst Hill, the route climbs up to Blackheath before dropping down to the Tilling Bourne next to the old gunpowder mills for the steepest climb of the route from Chilworth Manor to the top of St Martha’s Hill (maximum gradient 31.1%!). From St Martha’s the route leads back along the North Downs Way, passing through the edge of Guildford and crossing the Loseley Estate before reaching Puttenham. The finish is reached after a short climb to the top of Puttenham Common.
- Approximately 65km/roughly 40 miles.
- Total climb is approximately 3800 feet.
- We recommend you aim to finish within 10 hours.
- There will be portaloos at some checkpoints, and public toilets at others.
- This is a self-navigated route (*.gpx and *.kml files available).
- GPS tracking.
- Chip timing.
- There are mainly marked footpaths (expect loose stone, sand, rock, mud and potential boggier sections depending on the weather); some short road stretches.
- All runners will be required to certify their fitness to participate in the event, both at the time of entry and at registration on the day. Race paramedics will be available throughout the event.
- Further details will be given in the information pack which all entrants will receive.
- Trickier sections of the course will be marked with red and white tape. Road stretches and crossings will not be marshalled (although caution walker/runner signs will be deployed to alert drivers); it will be the responsibility of the runner to self-navigate and negotiate such crossings/stretches successfully.
- Seven intermediate feeding stations at approximately 5-6 mile intervals.
- Minimum requirements for kit will be detailed in the information pack which all entrants will receive.
- Hot and cold food/drink will be available at the start/finish.
How we'll support you:
- Fundraising pack and ideas
- New online interactive training zone
- Team e-newsletters
- Exclusive GS Ultra Medal!
- Exclusive GS Ultra technical top to wear while taking part in the event
- Trophies for 1st and 2nd place male, female, veteran male, and veteran female
Complete your registration
Complete our online form, pay your fee and become a Great Strides 65 Ultra participant with Team CF!
Apply for a place
“As we emerged from the woods the organisers erupted in applause, making the whole thing even more overwhelming… I had a day I'll never forget and enjoyed every high and low throughout.”
Great Strides 65 Ultra, Previous Participant
In 2017, well-known ultra runner Kirk Hardwick took on the inaugural Great Strides 65 Ultra and became the event’s first winner! Read more about his journey through the Surrey Hills Outstanding Area of Natural Beauty.
Why run for Cystic Fibrosis Trust?
The world's number one marathon is an incredible experience, leading you past iconic landmarks cheered on by hundreds of thousands of spectators. Next Spring, we'd love to have you with us as part of Team CF, running for a life unlimited by cystic fibrosis for everyone with the condition.
Take a look at our other Great Strides events here -
All Great Strides events