The cystic fibrosis centre must:
- Be based in the UK
- Be a specialist CF centre with a total of more than 150 patients in full care, either children or adults (preference will be given to applications from joint paediatric/adult centres)
- Guarantee 50% match funding for the post, for the duration of the grant
- Maintain their own clinical database and be part of the Cystic Fibrosis Trust UK registry, and
- Not currently have direct support from NIHR or equivalent funding: e.g. Respiratory BRC, BRU or UKCRN support.
- Have evidence of Cystic Fibrosis Trust and/or British Thoracic Society peer review, and be working according to NIHR Standards of Care*
- Be able to collect, process and report data adequately using computers
- Have a commitment to promoting clinical trials and recruiting patients, including institutional support for the PI and research staff, and support to facilitate contract processes, and
- Have some previous experience with collaborative research, particularly in clinical trials involving an IMP
It is the responsibility of the specialist centre, and not the Cystic Fibrosis Trust, to ensure appropriate training is in place for the funded clinical research coordinator. Centres will agree with the Cystic Fibrosis Trust a level of participation in future clinical trials over the three years of the award and will be assessed annually on recruitment.
The funding award from the Trust is expected to be in the range of £18,333 - £28,600 per post per annum, is dependent on the specialist centre providing match funding for the post, and is non-renewable. The funding grant is for three years with the expectation that the research coordinator post will become self-funding beyond this time.
This award is intended to support cystic fibrosis centres with capacity for clinical trials but which are currently limited operationally by a lack of research coordinator support. It is understood that cystic fibrosis centres already part of the European Clinical Trials Network must have research coordinator support and they are therefore ineligible for this award.
*Medical Research Council
Evaluation of applications
An evaluation committee will comprise members with specific expertise in clinical trials. The evaluation committee will not include physicians from centres applying for this award. The evaluation committee will be responsible for making recommendations for funding to the Cystic Fibrosis Trust.