The student must be named on the application form. Students are normally at a university within the UK, and must be either:
- A medical student between the end of their second year and the end of their penultimate year.
- A Basic Science student in the last two years of their degree.
The project supervisor must hold an established academic position within the university or research unit. They must be able to guarantee that the student can have space in their laboratory and fulfill any necessary legal requirements that the student’s presence requires. Postdoctoral researchers, PhD students and technicians are unable to be project supervisors; however, they can provide day-to-day supervision of the student and be named on the application form. The supervisor can be a basic or clinical scientist working in any area of the proposed research.
There may be only one application per supervisor. Awards are not transferable. In addition, each institution is restricted to three applications, to be prioritised as first, second and third choice.
Identifying a project
The Trust does not assist in the organisation of project placements; supervisors should identify prospective students themselves. The application should be a project that can be realistically undertaken within a maximum of eight weeks. The student should not be viewed as an extra pair of hands in the host laboratory.
The award will comprise of:
- A stipend of £1,400 for living expenses.
- £100 for consumables (including poster printing costs).
- Expenses for attending the UK Cystic Fibrosis Conference in September 2019 for those undertaking a CF project, or another relevant UK respiratory conference, (eg BTS, BALR etc) for those researching other lung conditions.
Download the application form today to apply for the 2019 Summer Studentship scheme, and return the completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org and cc email@example.com.
Completed applications (including all the necessary signatures) must be received by 5pm, Friday 12 April 2019. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Download the application form