The Cystic Fibrosis Trust, British Thoracic Society and British Paediatric Society in conjunction with the national service commisioner have previously facilitated the peer review of UK wide CF specialist centres and their network clinics.
The Quality surveillance team (QST) has been given the responsibility by NHS England to conduct peer reviews of all specialist services including cystic fibrosis. The Cystic Fibrosis Trust expects to still have a part to play in the future of peer review of CF services in the UK and is working with the peer review oversight board and the QST to understand how we can represent the interests of people with CF and ensure they have access to the best possible care.
For all enquiries regarding peer review please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Patient and carer experience survey
The Clinical Care team is currently undertaking a small sample of pilot questionnaires surveying the patient and carer experience of their respective cystic fibrosis (CF) centre services. These online surveys have been formulated with the full involvement of representatives from the multi-disciplinary cystic fibrosis teams and drawing on patient/parent input. The surveys cover all aspects of specialist cystic fibrosis clinical care referenced against the currently nationally-recognised Standards of Clinical Care 2011 and national service specifications.
This auditing of standards of clinical care post-peer review is intended to support CF specialist centres and their networks to improve clinical care, with their patients and carers’ feedback at the heart of clinical decisions and service developments.
Staffing level pilot audit
In addition to our surveying of the patient/carer experience of CF centres at this pilot stage, we are also undertaking a pilot audit of staffing levels across a sample of cystic fibrosis centres to enable the Cystic Fibrosis Trust to gauge where staffing resource pressures exist in cystic fibrosis services and support CF services to maintain the best possible standards of clinical care in line with national service specification and nationally-recognised expected standards of clinical care. This staff audit tool aims to also help link the level of CF centre staff resource with the standard of care provided to patients.
Peer reviews - see how your CF centre is doing
- Birmingham Children’s Hospital and shared care networks peer review July 2014 - Full (PDF 1.4 MB) / Abstract (PDF 139 KB)
- Castle Hill Hospital Adult Cystic Fibrosis Centre, Hull - October 2015 - Full (PDF 570 KB) / Abstract (PDF 246 KB)
- Frimley Park Hospital Adult CF service peer review April 2015 - Full (PDF 559KB) / Abstract (PDF 169KB)
- Glenfield Hospital Adult Cystic Fibrosis Centre, Leicester peer review abstract June 2015 - Full (PDF 513KB) / Abstract (PDF 131KB)
- Great North Children’s Hospital, Newcastle Paediatric Cystic Fibrosis (Royal Victoria Infirmary paediatric) peer review March 2015 - Full (892KB) / Abstract (239KB)
- Hull Royal Infirmary Cystic Fibrosis Centre - paediatric peer review July 2013 - Full (PDF 303KB) / Abstract (PDF 60KB)
- The James Cook University Hospital peer review October 2012 - Full (PDF 301KB)
- John Radcliffe Hospital and network paediatric clinics, Oxford peer review February 2015 - Full (1,402 KB) / Abstract (133 KB)
- King's College Hospital and Paediatric Network - July 2015 Full (PDF 1.9 MB) / Abstract (PDF 130 KB)
- Leeds General Infirmary and paediatric shared care clinics peer review October 2014 - Full (PDF 1.15 MB) / Abstract (PDF 87 KB)
- Lewisham Hospital Cystic Fibrosis Centre - adult peer review January 2014 - Full (501 KB) / Abstract
- Llandough Adult Cystic Fibrosis Centre, Wales peer review - September 2015 - Full (PDF 571 KB) / Abstract (PDF 221 KB)
- North West Midlands Cystic Fibrosis Centre - adult peer review March 2013 - Full (PDF 416KB) / Abstract (PDF 69KB)
- North West Midlands Cystic Fibrosis Centre - paediatric peer review March 2013 - Full (PDF 536KB) / Abstract (PDF 69KB)
- Nottingham Hospital Cystic Fibrosis Centre - adult peer review June 2013 - Full (PDF 465KB) / Abstract (PDF 55KB)
- Oxford adult CF service, Churchill Hospital peer review Jan 2015 - Full (642 KB) / Abstract (203 KB)
- The Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children peer review February 2014 - Full (PDF 569 KB) / Abstract (PDF 43.2 KB)
- Royal Brompton hospital and network clinics - February 2015 - Full (PDF 976 KB) / Abstract (PDF 124 KB)
- Royal London Hospital and Paediatric Network Clinics - May 2015 - Full (PDF 933 KB) / Abstract (PDF 229 KB)
- Royal Victoria Infirmary Adult Cystic Fibrosis Centre peer review March 2015 - Full (PDF 688KB) / Abstract (138KB)
- South-East Scotland adult CF service peer review November 2014 - Full (PDF 1 MB) / Abstract (PDF 72KB)
- South-East Scotland Paediatric Cystic Fibrosis Service - June 2015 - Full (PDF 1.09 MB) / Abstract (PDF 146 KB)
- West of Scotland Service, Gartnavel Hospital peer review November 2014 - Full (PDF 495 KB) / Abstract (PDF 112 KB)
- Sheffield Children's NHS Foundation Trust peer review May 2013 - Full (PDF 529KB) / Abstract (PDF 47KB)
- Sheffield Hospital Cystic Fibrosis Centre - adult peer review November 2013 - Full (PDF 500KB) / Abstract (PDF 50KB)
- University Hospital of South Manchester NHS Foundation Trust – Wythenshawe Hospital peer review June 2014 - Full (661 KB) / Abstract (66 KB)
- Southampton Regional Centre and Local District Hospitals 'Central South Coast’ Paediatric Cystic Fibrosis Network peer review November 2013 - Full (PDF 2.1 MB) / Abstract (PDF 70 KB)
- Southampton and Poole, Wessex Adult CF Service peer review March 2014 - Full (801 KB) / Abstract (68 KB)
Researchers are investigating a range of issues related to cystic fibrosis, from transplants to bacterial infections and gene therapy.
Contact our wonderful helpline team by telephone or email, Monday to Friday, for answers to your questions.
Get in touch with us to speak to someone on our Helpline, find out about an event or speak to our Press Team.