Announcing the first Clinical Trials Accelerator Platform centres
Stopping the clock on cystic fibrosis (CF) begins with research and clinical trials, and people with CF are key to unblocking the path to new treatments. The Trust has established the Clinical Trials Accelerator Platform to increase awareness and understanding of the trials process and empower people with CF to consider participating in a trial.
Alongside this, the Trials Accelerator is bringing together, and supporting, CF teams around the UK that are keen to increase the number of research opportunities that are available to people with cystic fibrosis. This will ensure there is the infrastructure and resource needed to enable better access to clinical trials for everyone with CF, regardless of their location in the UK.
Trials Accelerator centres
Lead Trials Accelerator centres will receive funding from the Trust for a dedicated cystic fibrosis Trial Coordinator, who will oversee the day-to-day running of CF clinical trials. Each centre will work with nearby adult and paediatric care centres ('supporting centres') to ensure all people with CF in the region have the opportunity to take part in clinical trials.
The Trust is delighted to announce the following adult and paediatric CF centres have been selected as lead centres for the Clinical Trials Accelerator Platform. See a full list, including supporting centres.
- Birmingham: West Midlands Adult Cystic Fibrosis Centre & Birmingham Children’s Hospital.
- The South West Network: Bristol Royal Hospital for Children; Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital.
- Leeds: Leeds Adult Cystic Fibrosis Centre.
- The London Network: The Royal Brompton; King’s College Hospital; Great Ormond Street Hospital; Bart's & The London.
- Liverpool: Alder Hey Children’s Hospital.
- Nottingham: Nottingham Children’s & Young Person’s clinic; Wolfson Adult Cystic Fibrosis Centre.
- Scottish Network: Queen Elizabeth Glasgow; Scottish Cystic Fibrosis Adult, Edinburgh.
- Southampton: Southampton General Hospital (adults & children).
Collectively, the Trials Accelerator centres will provide improved access to clinical trials for over 6,000 people; more than half of the UK population of people with cystic fibrosis. This number will grow when more centres join the Trials Accelerator later this year. The impact of being able to involve everyone in the UK CF community in the Trials Accelerator is very exciting – together, it’ll be easier to find new and better treatments for cystic fibrosis.
If your centre isn't listed
A CF care centre does not have to be part of the Trials Accelerator to run clinical trials; if your centre is not listed here, the chances are they will still be running clinical trials – don’t be afraid to ask your team about local clinical trial opportunities, and look out for a clinical trials digital hub launching on the Trust's website later this year.